Home (after all the madness of Canada) Part One

Sunset Kingston Canada

I was going to write more about Canada, in Canada, but sadly so many life experiences happened to me in two weeks that I didn't have the time. So here I am, back in England. I didn't fully take in Canada's amazingness until I got home. But then Canada is a bigger country with stunning countryside...and England is stunning in its own way. 

Canada has space. The houses are big, and the food portion sizes are bigger. My stomach is bloated to the extreme, or I have put on a few inches. Not surprising. I was living off whatever I could find, and sometimes that was cheesy pasta and English Muffins. 

English muffins. I spent a long time figuring out why they were called English muffins. I was given my first English muffin by a new Canadian friend on the 'Becoming Kin' retreat (the subject of a separate post) and immediately loved it. I had to have four of them with butter. Hence perhaps my waistline isn't that happy. 

Overall, I did a lot more in two weeks than I think I did. On my first day in Kingston, I found the tourist office, and they recommended I take the 'trolley tour.' Trolleys are perhaps what we would call buses in the UK. This was the easiest way of being introduced to Kingston. 

Kingston is a small town. It was once the capital of Canada, but as it is so close to the US, the capital was moved to Ottawa. Known as a limestone town, it has, well...a lot of old-looking limestone buildings. 

It also has an area called Portsmouth Harbour which I found so funny. I come from Portsmouth, England, so it is always fun to find its namesake in version places. 

So my trip to Canada sadly didn't involve seeing the great sights. Mainly because I didn't realise how vast the country is, I had an incident which landed me in ER for five hours and tired me out, and I had to recover. It was an interesting life experience but to be honest...would have been cooler to get out to Ottawa or Toronto (though my American friend said it wasn't worth going for the day). 

I did get a few hours in Toronto on the way to the airport. I guess a little taster of what I might get to one day experience if I ever get back to Canada. Hopefully I will!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Retreat - More Celtic Shamanic Goodness Part One

The Glamper Returns Part 1 - Post Retreat Comedown

Canadian Adventures: Overwhelmed